Find the talent you need. Then keep it. 2
Welcome back, if you haven’t read part 1, it’s in here somewhere!
So we’re talking successful recruitment with our eye on finding the right person for the right role – here are some important topics to consider before moving ahead:
*Know what you already have
*Know your hiring needs
*Know your talent
*Know your organisation
*Know the labour market
*Measure and evaluate
Ok wise guy, so what does it all mean?
Know your organisation
● The cultures, norms, values, traditions.
● What’s the vision? The next big plan?
● Why would anyone want to work here?
Know your hiring needs
● What’s coming up? What’s changed? Why hire new people?
● Where do I go to find out?
● Do I look at strategic plans? Sales reports? Ask line managers?
Know what you already have
● What skills and abilities do you currently have?
● Could you recruit in house
Know the work
● What are the main tasks.
● Key responsibilities.
● What knowledge, attitude and skills do you need?
● What experience, special skills, and experience do you need?
Know the labour market
● What skills are in short supply?
● What’s a competitive salary for this kind of work?
Know your talent sources
● As you plan the whole thing – be creative, rather than target the same old people the same old way – look for ways to shake it up. People face barriers to employment – break them down! Off the top of my head, consider ex police force, military, a similar skills set that contains transferable skills?
And finally, Know your options
● What strategies can you consider?
● What resources do you have (time, value and money) what support can your organisation give you (employment fairs, adverts on . . .)
This really is the last one, I promise, Measure and evaluate
● This step might be as simple as adding a question; How did you hear about us?
● Keep on track of things by running a template, a flowchart of what’s what – this will help you keep track of costs and results (always a good thing to discuss at the water fountain), and could serve as the blueprint for future campaigns!
So come on then! What’s the procedure? Next week people, next week.